Thursday 9 February 2012

She's still looking out for me....


When I was little, I prayed every night that  my grandmother would live a hundred years. In fact, I prayed that my whole family would live a very long life, but my grandmother’s name would always come first. Tears would well up in my eyes everytime other members of my family or anyone complained about my grandmother being slow and dropping and breaking things.

As long as I can remember, my grandma had always been looking out for me. She would drop me off to school and sit and wait for me until school was over. In my school and even in church she was more popularly known as “Alvina-i Pi”, because we were always seen together. Every morning, she woke up at 5:00 to attend the morning prayer service. The church was her life, and she would read and tell me stories from the Bible every night before sleeping. I loved her so dearly and my heart would sink at the thought of her dying.

It was the morning of 3rd April 2006 (the year of my sweet 16th birthday), my grandma passed away. It all happened so fast  I couldn’t even cry .The moment she breathed her last, I ran up to my room because I was embarrassed to cry in front of so many people. I silently prayed “God, I thank you for the 83 years…but it’s just not enough…”

Two years back, four years since my grandma  died, I was in Mumbai doing my grad. I was so pre-occupied with my life there, my friends, college and everything that  I  haven’t  thought of my grandmother in a very long time. One fine day, it so happened that my laptop was stolen in the hostel, and I was too scared to tell my parents. I used my entire life savings for a new one as a result of which I became poverty-stricken and flat broke. I did not want to tell my parents and ask for help. I was so worried and the fact of not getting a new dress for my college farewell party was morose. Then one night, I had this  really strange dream.I saw my grandmother.I could not see her face nor recall what she was wearing.It was all blurred, like a silhoutte. But her voice was so clear it almost seemed real .She said ,”Bawihte, engtikah nge I pa hian pawisa a rawn thawn dawn che a?”

The next morning when I woke up, I was still broke. I knew I would still be the only one not wearing a new dress for the farewell party, but I had this sudden surge of bliss and beatitude, because now  I know my grandmother was still looking out for me, and she was there to help me get through this. I guess she’s in Heaven now, perhaps hanging out with Jesus or having coffee with Abraham and Peter. I can only imagine the smile on her face. So for now, I know I need not worry about anything at all because I somehow believe she’s still praying for me. So, I know I am always in safe hands.I thank God for reminding me time and again of how much I am loved.


Do not stand at my grave and cry,
I am not there, I did not die
I am the thousand winds that blow.
I am the diamond glint on snow.
I am the sunlight on ripened grain.
I am the gentle autumn rain.
When you wake in the morning hush,
I am the swift, uplifting rush
Of quiet birds in circling flight.
I am the soft starlight at night.
Do not stand at my grave and weep.
I am not there, I do not sleep.
Do not stand at my grave and cry.
I am not there, I did not die! I am the song that will never end.
I am the love of family and friend.
I am the child who has come to rest
In the arms of the Father who knows me best.

18 comments:

  1. I pi chu i tan a hlu hle mai. Pi fel tak i nei a ni. Tunah chuan Vanram-ah a awm tawh a, mahse, a hlat ta che tihna a ni chuang reng reng lo. A awmhmun a sawn e tihna mai a ni. Vanram atang chuan i sawi ang khian a rawn thlir reng dawn che a, i pi i zah em avang ringawt pawhin thil tha lo tam tak chu i tih loh phah ka ring a ni. Tin, mi lungleng mi leh ngawichawi mi, ze zawi tak i niin ka lo hria a, i tawrhna tur leh i lunglenna tur chu ka hriatthiampui viau chein ka hria.

    ReplyDelete
  2. eh... blog template te a thlak vel :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just finished reading. What a truly touching post, nana. She's always there, smiling down from Heaven and looking after you. You are a very strong girl and you're gonna make her really proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ TS..thank u..means a lot to me


    @Mizohican..u right,m a strong girl:))..thanks kim

    ReplyDelete
  5. lovely tribute, well written and truly touching. with her hanging out with Jesus and having coffee with Abraham and Peter, she has direct contact and you will be truly taken care of.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ruolngulworld..just my unapprehended perception of how heaven would be like:) thank u

    ReplyDelete
  7. ur good, im proud of u, and yes ur grama will always watch over you, we'l all meet again in groly!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Its so sad that you miss her very much and you may never meet her again in this world. On the other hand, u are a very lucky girl that had a chance to experience the loving and doting arm of your mama..there are thousands of people like me never get a chance to have so..

    Jeans in wall is that yours..?? hihihi

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Er.Beethugs,yeah I'm lucky indeed:) and thank u 4 dropping by.do visit oft..

    ReplyDelete
  10. a nice post. came across this blog through misual.com and I can say I am not disappointed. Keep writing , and the poem at the end is simply nice. May your Grandma's Soul Rest in Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i like your blog:))) its so nyc to hear frm u after a lng tym;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. tis is one of ur best!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow!.. I can almost visualse ur gran eating ku vah and waiting for u outside ur school..:')

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kuhva ei ber kher.weird imagination.lolzz

      Delete
    2. Nope.. Ma vision wud never go wrong..:)

      Delete

Please write your thoughts, it means a lot..