Sunday 19 February 2012

Life lessons from sunday schools...



From kindergarten to 12th grade of schooling, my teachers would teach me just about everything there is to know, from ABC’s to algebra, Theory of Evolution to Newton’s Law and all kinds of facts and figures, so that I would one day grow up to be a tactful, nice and fine lady. Back then, little did I know that the most valuable lessons in life and the things that pulled me through series of the most unfortunate events of my life were the things that I learned in sunday schools. The songs that were sung, the scriptures that were memorised and the lessons that were taught are now the things that keep my life undefiled and intact, a source of infinite wisdom leading me to a just path.

My family belonged to the Mission Veng Presbyterian Church, and during my entire childhood, it was a very strict rule at home that on sundays we should attend sunday schools and afternoon services, and should not miss it unless we were like severely ill (y’know my grandmother). So, I always attended church on sundays, right from beginner’s department when I was a little girl to senior department in my early teens. I can still recall the first time I gave my sunday school exam when I was 4 years old.The teacher asked me who Samuel’s father was (a story from the Bible),  I promptly replied,”Apu Manga”, which was the name of my cousin Samuel’s dad. That teacher still makes fun of me even today :)

There are many fond memories of my sunday school days which I can recall, like the time when I had a  crush on the boy who use to sit just opposite when I was in senior department, who is now, of course happily married with a beautiful baby boy. Anyways, I never hesitated to attend Sunday schools. In fact, I thought it was a good way to spend your school-off day and I even get to meet my friends and the best part was that you don’t get homeworks and beatings from your sunday school teachers unlike the teachers in school. I also enjoyed listening to stories from the Bible and of course the singing. I never knew though, that it would have such an immeasurable  and profound impact in my life.

As life goes on and I grew older, life wasn't always kind and every now and then circumstances dictate what direction I had to follow - not always in line with my personal choice. Just when I thought I got the hang of how it all works, I messed up.  And the time came when I had to decide for myself what kind of a Christian I would like to be. It was at such times that I realised the gist of the Bible scriptures which I had absent-mindedly retained from childhood. And these have been saving me ever since, guiding my footsteps, delivering me from toil and strife.


When life gets tough and things get tumultuous and out of hand, I'd turn to a scripture which I long knew like the back of my hand and lived my life upon, which I had memorised in sunday school :-




When I am struggling with temptations, I am reminded of a Bible verse which was our “naupang inkhawm changvawn”, each word reverberating within me and then  preclude me from wrong and put things in perspective. ( Since I don’t know this in English I’ll write it in Mizo and sorry I can’t remember the exact chapter and verse) :-

“ Nunna hmangaih duh leh ni tha te hmuh duh chuan
 Sual lakah a lei veng tha sela
 A hmui pawh ngamthlemna thu sawi  lo turin veng tha rawh se
 Sual kalsan in thil tha ti rawh se
 Remna zawngin um zel rawh se
 Lalpa mit chu mifelte chungah a fu a,
 A beng pawh an tawngtaina lamah a  chhi si thin a…..”


When I grieve the lost of a loved one or when someone dear would leave me, I thought about the story of Job and Abraham which was taught in sunday school. They lose everything they hold dear but still did not complain or curse God and  remained faithful despite their extremely difficult situation.

When I am disappointed by a family member or a close friend or disheartened by anyone, I thought of 1 Corinthians 13:4  that makes me choose not to retaliate but to love them unconditionally instead :-




I can never forget what Pu Hual-a (our church elder) once said during a campaign for children in my church. He said there are just four words that will guide you in your journey with Christ. Whenever you face any situation, just ask yourself “What would Jesus do?” (WWJD)  if He were in your position. This has been a powerful and life-changing  slogan (?) for thousands of people including me.



Finally, I’d like to add, my life is an embodiment of gratitude right now, and there are so many little things which I am grateful for, I could write an endless list (which I’m planning to make it my next blog post) but since you must be having a hard time finishing this ridiculously long post, I’d make it short.  I’m grateful that I am a Christian. I’m grateful for being a part of the Mission Veng Presbyterian Church and I’m grateful to all my sunday school teachers who had enriched my life in ways they can never imagine. May God bless the church abundantly!

6 comments:

Please write your thoughts, it means a lot..