Saturday 3 March 2012

The Candle


The other night, I was sorting out my pile of old stuffs when I found this  piece of paper in one of my old dust-ladened  Chemistry textbook. It was the poem which I wrote back in college which fetched me first prize in an ON-THE-SPOT poetry writing competition. Here goes...     




The candle in the dark
Lighting up glooms amid the darkest hour
A beacon upon the clear sky
Shines it’s path for many to see

Many would lurge, stumble and fall
If not for the light of thee
Twas in this light that we see
The shadows that obscure our path

The Holy words of God
The knowledge of being saved on the cross
This is what the candle means to me
To lighten my life forever more

This is my ultimate goal
This is what I’m striving for
To light the candle high on the hill
And shine for all others to see

Tho’ down here below the candle melts
Here in my heart will it keep
Until the day  the Saviour returns
And take me home forever more


P.S -  Reading it again, I realised I have used a lot of clichés ( I hate cliches) but anyways I’m not a poet and I hardly ever write poems so I guess its ok. Moreover, this was an on-the-spot competition and we were given just 30 minutes time. Just posting it here because I felt a bit nostalgic, and, yes, the words really mean a lot to me.

1 comment:

Please write your thoughts, it means a lot..